Friday, January 01, 2010

Day One - Polar Bear Plunge



I witnessed the Polar Bear Plunge at Asbury Park this afternoon! Steve and I decided back in November (oh, darn I never did go through or post those shots... another project for another day!) to go to this event and maybe get some interesting shots. Funny story... my Nikon had no SD card inserted and the point and shoot back-up? Well, that was on the kitchen counter! (I needed to lighten up the bag one day) So, thirty five miles from home what was I to do? I managed to remember my cell phone, and that my friends is what I had to work with! I managed to witness and record the day on my trusty blackberry. In the photo above the Polar Bears are all at the starting line and ready to "Plunge". The weather wasn't too horrible, it was about 42 degrees at this point in the day, I wouldn't attempt getting in the water but I guess that is down right balmy for a polar bear!

I totally loved this little dune buggy! This vehicle belonged to the rescue crew, who seemed a bit smarter than the average bear... they were covered head to toe in wetsuits! But this buggy is just adorable, isn't it?




All things considered it was fun way to spend the first day of the decade... Nice weather, fun event, a chance to try out the Blackberry camera.

There is one thing that still kind of bothers me though... When we arrived back at the car the parking slot # was painted on the street:




I'm hoping this isn't a sign of what's to come! I'm not really a superstitious person, I'm just saying...

10 comments:

GailO said...

I can understand why people would want to go to these Polar Bear plunges to take pictures...what I can't understand is why anyone would want to take the actual plunge!...Friends of mine participated in one here in
RI this year...now I wish I went to take photos...

Also I want to thank you for your very kind comment at Picturing the Year...my blogging friends amaze me...

xo

Tom Bailey said...

I have thought about doing something like this but on second thought being cold does not inspire me much.

Thanks for sharing,
Tom Bailey

MaggieGem said...

Oliga and Tom I'm with you and consider this event a "Spectator" sport! Hope you have a great week!

Hilary said...

My young niece has done the plunge several years in a row.. Lake Erie on January 1.. always in sub-freezing temperatures. She's a gutsy wee thing. Lovely shots. :)

MaggieGem said...

Hilary, thanks for stopping by! I'll say your niece is gutsy! I was happy it wasn't too cold and I was just a spectator :-) Keep it above freezing for me!

Dianne said...

I've seen the Polar Bears at Coney Island, never at Asbury Park

the parking number could have been 666! ;)

MaggieGem said...

Dianne - Would that mean I'd have a devilish year or would it be the decade from H3LL? ;-)

A New England Life said...

I certainly hope it's not a sign of things to come too! Just a coincidence ; )

42 degrees isn't too bad for the polar bear plunge. However, I can't even go in the ocean water when its 80 degrees outside so there you go! LOL! Those people are crazy!

Sweet Simplicity said...

Those people are crazy! :)

Tabor said...

Thanks for the blog visit. You are quite the photographer to get such a good shot with 'just' a blackberry. I am impressed!