Thursday, August 20, 2009

Boomers! The Heart Must Go On

This story is taking far too long to tell; putting it all in words and finding the strength to actually write the entry has been a bit difficult.

Hubby came home and all is well; we'll be following up with our family doctor and neurologist from the hospital. He's finally accepted some hard truths - he has diabetes and he needs to be watching his diet. He's been fighting this diagnosis for some time now and well, after a couple doctor visits over the last month and this last trip he finally has accepted this medical fact. Amen, like anything else once you admit you have a problem you can then work on solving it.

Unfortunately, this wasn't the end of the week's extenuating circumstances. Thursday morning at approximately 4 am I awoke not feeling well; a strange feeling in the chest along with some pain in the left shoulder. Once up, the chest got tight and I began to sweat... since my daughter was in the living room I woke her to call 911 and to wake her father. It was less than 36 hours since leaving the emergency room, and we we're on our way back! I have to say as scary as the episode was, it amazes me how the whole process worked. Clearly time was of the essence, thank goodness the hospital has a innovative Cardiac Care Center and a 90-minute "Portal to Cath" policy. A few days in the hospital under some pretty good care and I was back home by Sunday afternoon. Not quite good as new, but all things considered on the road to recovery!

2 comments:

Hilary said...

Holy geesh! You folks need to take good care of yourselves. I'm so sorry you're going through this. I don't know what a "portal to cath" means but I'm hoping that all is well now. Please be healthy!

MaggieGem said...

Hilary, thanks for the support. We're doing ok and all will be fine I'm sure. Looks like we just got a major wakeup call.

Portal to cath refers to getting a heart patient from the door to heart catheterization lab.